Welcome to the First Ontario TimeBank
TimeBanking is a way for community groups, institutions, neighbours and individuals to mutually support one another through the exchange of time whereby one hour of any activity is equal to another hour.
The First Ontario TimeBank was started in 2012 by the Ontario Environment Network to help build sustainable communities at the neighbourhood, local, regional, and province-wide levels by:
- encouraging networking between environmental non-governmental organizations (ENGO’s), NGO’s, government agencies and for-profit enterprises;
- making it easier for citizens to participate in the activities of ENGO’s, and for ENGO’s to respond more effectively to the needs of citizens, and
- helping ENGO’s access and share services with the broader community.
We recognize that each person and institution has talents to share, and that the overall community is strengthened when we help one another. For every hour that you help meet the needs of another member, you earn a time credit for the exchange. This time credit can then be redeemed for services from others, and the cycle of mutual aid continues and expands.
Getting Started with our TimeBank:
Please see our Membership Information page to find out How to become a Member - Members Agreement - Paying Membership Fees
Once you have completed the required steps outlined in our Membership Information page
- Create a login and fill out your member profile.
- Attend an orientation or complete an online orientation.
- Post some skills and talents you have to offer other members.
- Post some requests for skills or talents that other members can provide for you.
Ongoing Use of the TimeBank:
- Don't hesitate to respond to an offer or request. This is exactly how new sharing and relationships are built which strengthen our community.
- Please respond in a timely manner to calls or emails you receive from your fellow TimeBank participants about the requests of offers you've posted.
- After you've communicating with a TimeBank participant and determining a service exchange is appropriate, make specific arrangements how to coordinate the exchange.
- Fulfill the exchange and save a record of it in your hours account.
- Come back and review offers and requests from other members
Do this again and again to help keep our community alive and flourishing.